- This event has passed.
Ultimate Intro to the wines of Europe
May 1 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Twin Cities Wine Education LLC presents
ULTIMATE INTRO TO WINE: THE WINES OF EUROPE
When you first start to learn about wine, it is easier to learn about California, Australian, and South American wines for several reasons. First, these places (especially the west coast of America) are familiar to us and we know how to pronounce the locations. Secondly, the grape variety is often presented on the label, simplifying the understanding of what’s in the bottle. And lastly, they are the majority of wines available in most wine shops in the United States.
Then something strange and wonderful happens… maybe it’s a bottle of Puligny-Montrachet from France, or a Soave Classico from Italy, or a Priorat from Spain.
Whatever it may be, you find yourself intrigued by the wonderful taste and aromas, which are so different from American wines. You wonder just what it is that you are enjoying. Picking up the bottle, you look hard to discover what grape you are drinking, to no avail. Why is European wine so concerned about place with rarely a mention of what grapes are involved? These labels are confusing to many, so where do you possibly start when learning about European wine?
You start with the our “European Wine 101” class, that’s where! In this info-packed class we cover many topics including but not limited to:
• A brief history of wine making in Italy, Spain, and France
• The cultural and style differences between European wines and American wines
• The geography of topography of Europe’s wine regions
• An overview of the French concept of “Terroir”
• Details on reading and understanding Italian, French, and Spanish wine labels
• A discussion on finding the biggest bang for the buck in European wine
and more! We’ll taste through a range of great examples and use the wines we are tasting to grow your understanding of the ‘old world’ of wine.